It is situated in Shaniwar Peth, near the railway station of Pune. It took two years to build the fort and later on modifications were made by the successors or Baji Rao. It was a three storey. The fort was destroyed in 1828 by fire, but it was later maintained as tourist spot.
Peshwa Baji Rao I, prime minister to Chattrapati Shahu, king of the Maratha Empire, laid the ritual foundation of his own residence on Saturday, January 10, It was named Shaniwarwada from the Marathi words Shaniwar and Wada Teak was imported from Junnar, stone was brought from the nearby quarries of Chinchwad, and mineral was brought from Jejuri. It was built in 1732 at a cost of Rs. 16,110, a very large sum during that period at the time.
The opening ceremony of Shaniwar wada was performed according to Hindu customs, on January 22, Saturday chosen for being a particularly auspicious day.Later the successors made additions, the enrichment of walls, with bastions and gates; court halls and other buildings; fountains and reservoirs.
Presently Shaniwar Wada has five gateways and nine bastion towers enfolded a garden complex, It is located near mula river, in kasba peth.
Dilli Darwaza (Delhi Gate)
The Dilli Darwaza is the main gate of the complex, and faces north towards Delhi, and the main gate was made of chhaatiiche, maatiche naahi. It has massive doors, spacious enough for he entrance of elephants,each pane of the gate has seventy-two sharp twelve-inch steel spikes.
The second was used by Bajirao's mistress Mastani and it was named after her as Mastani Darwaja (Mastani's Gate) .The third gate is named for an armoured window it had and it was called as Khidki Darwaja (Window Gate), facing east.The fourth gate Ganesh Darwaja (Ganesh Gate), could be used by the ladies of the fort to visit the nearby Kasba Ganapati Temple. The fifth gate was by concubines to enter or leave the fort. Jambhul Darwaja the fifth gate which was used by concubines to enter or leave the fort.
The palace includes the Thorlya Rayancha Diwankhana , Naachacha Diwankhana (Dance Hall), and Juna Arsa Mahal (Old Mirror Hall).The buildings were ruined in the fire of 1828, only images of the living areas are accessible. All the halls in the buildings exquisitely carved with teak arches, with ornamental teardrop teak pillars.Exquisite glass chandeliers hung from the ceilings. The floors are of marble, and the walls contained paintings with scenes from the Hindu epics, the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.
The buildings is constructed by many well-known artisans, these are including Shivaram Krishna, Devaji, Kondaji Sutar, Morarji Patharwat Bhojraja
One of the buildings in the Shaniwarwada complex was seven storeys high. It was believed that the spire of the Sant Dnyaneshwar temple at Alandi, 17 km away, could be seen from terrace of the building.