was a palace built for the Raja of Kochi in1552 AD by the Portugese. But posterity
remembers this monument as the Dutch Palace, mainly because it was renovated and
re-built by the Dutch East India Company in 1663 AD.. The palace has beautiful
murals and a remarkable display of old Palanquins and armoury.
then it came to be called the Dutch Palace, though at no time did the Portugese
nor the Dutch stayed there. One of the oldest buildings in Kerala, the Mattancherry
Palace is a portrait gallery of the kings of
the centre of the building, is the Coronation Hall where the Cochin Rajas held
their coronations. Adjacent rooms contain 17th century Murals depicting scenes
from the great Indian epic, the Ramayana. On display in the palace are the dresses,
turbans, weapons and palanquins from that era.
palace is a double-storeyed quadrangular building that surrounds a central courtyard
containing a Hindu Temple, enshrining the royal deity, Palayannur Bhagavati. Two
more temples are situated on either side of the Palace dedicated to Lord Krishna
& Lord Siva respectively.
The palace is open all days for the public
between 10 am and 5 pm except on Fridays and National Holidays. Photography is
Palace located 47 kms from Alappuzha enroute to Kollam was built by Marthanda
Varma in the 18th century. This double storeyed palace bears the stamp of Kerala's
unique architectural opulence.
also houses Kerala's largest Mural panels. A museum of antique bronze sculptures
and paintings is another attraction. The Krishnapuram Palace, which was the residence
of the rulers of Kayamkulam kingdom, is a rare specimen of the Kerala style of
architecture, replete with gabled roofs, narrow corridors and dormer windows.
Renovated some time in the 18th century, the palace is today a protected
monument under the Archaeology department. Recently it has been again renovated
according to the scientific techniques prescribed for the protection of heritage
Now, an archaeological museum,
the palace has on exhibit the fascinating and huge, 49 sq.m 'Gajendra Moksham',
the largest single band of Mural Painting so far discovered in Kerala. Literally,
the salvation (Moksha) of the elephant king (Gajendra), the theme of the mural
is mythological, which depicts the salvation of Gajendra, the king of elephants
It is said that Lord Vishnu was the family deity of the Kayamkulam rajas. This
mural was placed at the entrance to the palace from the pond to enable the rajas
to worship the deity after their bath.
in all Keralan paintings every inch of the painting is packed with detail and
the outer edges are decorated with floriate borders. A display case contains ceremonial
utensils, oil lamps, fine miniature figures and small stone columns carved with
The beautifully landscaped garden in the
palace compound where one can see a variety of flora typical of Kerala, and a
newly erected 'Buddha mandapam', where a recently recovered statue of the Buddha
is housed. Other collections at the museum include rare antique bronze sculptures
to reach :
By Rail : Kollam about 39 km
By air : Thiruvananthapuram International Airport, about 103 km; Cochin International
Airport, about 132 km
Bungalow is on the out skirts of Thalaserry, located 20 kms from Kannur, at Nettur
. It is a historically significant place for all lovers of Malayalam Language.
of Dr. Hermann Gundert (1814-1893), a scholar of the German Basel Mission, who
compiled the first Malayalam English dictionary. The revered German priest and
lexicographer lived in the bungalow for 20 years from 1839.
Mr. Gundert was the publisher of one of the Malayalam's oldest newspapers,
the 'Paschimodayam', and also authored several books on Malayalam grammar.
: 20 Kms From Kannur, Kerala
Significance : Malayalam's
Oldest Newspaper Took Shape Here
Languages : Malayalam, Hindi, English
ancient palace, located 18 km from Thiruvananthapuram on the way to Ponmudi hillstation
and the Kuttalam waterfalls, dates back to the 15th century.
palace is famous in the history of Kerala as the official residence of Perakom
Thavazhi (the maternal lineage), especially of Umayamma Rani of the Venad royal
family who ruled the land between 1677 AD and 1684 AD.
two storeyed building with slanting gabled roofs is famous for 'Nalukettu', the
Traditional Style of Architecture. The Department of Archaeology has set up two
museums in the palace, namely, a Folklore Museum and a Numismatics Museum set
up by the.
The Folklore Museum is a treasure house
of quaint musical instruments, occupational implements, household utensils, models
of folk arts etc., was set up in 1992.
Numismatics Museum housed on the ground floor of the Koyikkal Palace is the only
one of its kind in the whole of Kerala. The coins displayed here belong to different
parts of the world as well as to different eras.