Jama Masjid in Delhi is the largest mosque in India that was commissioned to be constructed by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan. Built between 1644 and 1658, this mosque stands across the road in front of the Red Fort. This monument is acclaimed as one of the last architectural works of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. The best part in construction of this tomb is spacious courtyard which has a potential to gather thousands of faithful devotees. It is situated in the heart of the old Delhi which was built in red sandstone and marble by more than 5000 artisans.
The name Jama Masjid designates a reference to the weekly worshippers who visit here to play to God and participate in parade. The floor of the mosque has been scattered with white and black marble works which reminds prayer mat typical to the Mohammedan culture. The mosque is open from 7 AM to sunset but tourists are not allowed to enter into the premises in lunch time.
This tower has five storeys in which first three are made of red sandstone and the fourth one is made of marble, while the fifth is made of sandstone. It has very spacious main prayer hall which is made up of high cusped arches and marble domes.