Aga khan Palace
The Aga khan Palace is one of the greatest historical landmarks of pune built by Sultan Muhammed Shah, Aga Khan III in the year 1892. It was recognized one of the finest masterpieces under his region in the western India. This palace was established as charity purpose to help the poor in the neighboring areas of Pune who were trapped into a famine very badly.
The Aga khan Palace holds great significance in the past Indian history as from 9 August 1942 to 6 May 1944. It is believed that this palace was the prison of Mahatma Gandhi and his wife Kasturba Gandhi along with Mahadeobhai Desai during the Quit India Movement in 1942. In 1969, the Aga Khan Palace at Pune was bestowed to the Indians by Aga Khan IV as a symbol of respect to Mahatma Gandhi and his great values. Today, this palace houses the ashes of Gandhi to memorize the sacrifice of Gandi, father of the nation.
This building consists of five halls and covers an area of 19 acres. The 7 acres of this land is well-appointed constructed with brilliance and scenic beauty which enthralls the eye of an onlooker. The entire construction was completed in five years with a huge amount of 12 lakhs. The corridor of this palace is vast areas having 2.5 meters. The first floor is 1080 sq meters, whereas the second floor has a construction of 445 sq meters. The wonderful palace is encircled by the plentiful green gardens all around. Additionally, there are some decorated guest houses which take you back to the royal glorious past of the heritage edifice.