According to the myths and legends, Bandhavgarh has a very deep-rooted importance in the history of India. Dating back to the mythological era of Rama and Hanuman from the Hindu epic Ramayana, it was extended high over the entire park that is located in the heart of the city. According to the historians, the two monkeys who established the "setu", or bridge, between India and Lanka to help Rama to cross over and vanquish the demon king, Rawanna. It is said that Rama and hanuman have used this fort on their journey back to their kingdom from Lanka. Later on, this fort was gone in the hands of Lakshmana, younger brother of Rama who came to be known as the "Bandhavdhish", lord of the fort.
There are so many ancient temples which are yet used by the Maharaja of Rewa, who even presently owns the fort. It is hence, necessary to take his permission before going inside into the fort. There are some golden era indications in the northern part of this park. Dating back to the 1st century, these indicators have dug into the sand. The Chandela kings of bundelkhand have ruled over this fort and he is also famous for the Khajuraho Temples. Till 1617, Bandavgarh was renowned as the capital of their dynasty which was moved to Rewa around 120 km to the North. Due to turning into the capital, Bandhavgarh went through a period for a boon for the present forest there.
Once this area was finished for forest, the animals in the area too began to
multiply. One of the disadvantages of this place is that the royal family and
their guests started using it as a hunting reserve. This continued until the
Maharaja decided to hand it over to the government.